Whole Wheat Pita Bread Pizza
For the past few years I’ve been trying to find ways to fine tune my diet and eat healthier, without having to sacrifice some of my favorite foods. I don’t believe in diets, and I believe food is meant to be enjoyed. So instead of avoiding certain foods like the plague, I have actually found it fun experimenting and trying different recipes in effort to make them healthier. After all, what would life be like without chocolate, pasta, or pizza?!
So one day while I was on a hunt for a healthy, yet delicious pizza recipe I came across this one. And can I just say YUM-O! For those of you looking for a deliciously savory pizza recipe that is lower in calories, but BIG on taste, this ones for you! With the combination of the warm pita bread crust, homemade tomato sauce and delicious toppings, you can ENJOY devouring the entire pizza because it’s only 275 calories! So without further adieu….
Author: Kelly From Eat Yourself Skinny
Yields: 4 Pizzas
For the Pizza:
- 4 Whole-Wheat Pita breads (about 7 1/2 inches)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, seeds removed and julienned
- 3 oz. Fresh Mozzarella, grated
- Fresh Basil, sliced
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 tsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 of a 28 oz. Can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 c. Tomato Paste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the tomato sauce, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until fragrant and slightly browned (about 4 min.) then add the rest of your ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low, allowing tomato sauce to simmer for about 35 min. Sauce should become thick.
- On two baking sheets, assemble pita bread and spread about 1/3 cup of sauce on each. Add bell pepper slices and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake for roughly 20 minutes, until cheese has melted and crust is slightly browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh basil. Cut into slices and enjoy!
Photo Credit: Eat Yourself Skinny
About the Author
Kristyn Haster is a Lifestyle Blogger, Weight Loss Trainer and Self-Confidence Coach living in Boulder, Colorado. As Editor of LiveLethal.com (Crazy Confident You) Blog, she helps woman break out of their shells, gain total confidence and fall in love with life again.